THE pharmacist is working a busy Friday. Unfortunately a patient returns with a dispensing error. The pharmacist missed an error made by the trainee dispenser from earlier that day. Luckily the patient had not taken any of the medication.
The company policy states that dispensing errors must be reported within 72 hours. Four days after the event the area manager asks the pharmacist if all errors have been reported in a timely fashion. The pharmacist says yes whilst quietly remembering he had not reported the error from 4 days ago. After the conversation he reports the error, however from the area managers records and conversations with staff it becomes obvious that the pharmacist lied to the area manager.
What sanction should our pharmacist face in this case?
- No action necessary 11.9%
- A one month suspension from the register 9.8%
- A six month suspension from the register 3.6%
- The pharmacist should be struck off the register 4.7%
- Employer disciplinary action 69.9%