Parkinson’s is a slow but inevitable process. It’s hard living with it on a daily basis. The difficulty facing people with it is that they never quite know can I or can’t I do this today?(1)
What is Parkinson’s disease?
- Parkinson’s disease is a neurological disorder, with time it causes
decline in patient wellbeing.
- The loss of nerve cells in the substantia nigra = decrease in dopamine.
- Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that transmits messages responsible for movement.
- Therefore reduction of dopamine leads to signs and symptoms recognised as Parkinson’s.
- There is no cure, however therapy aims is to control symptoms and improve patient quality of life.