- Levodopa is the amino acid precursor of dopamine, it converts into dopamine.
- Levodopa exists naturally in the body, however taking it as a drug therapy allows nerve cells to make more dopamine.
- It is given with dopa-decarboxylase inhibitors which adds protection, preventing conversion of levodopa to dopamine too early and reduces
- Co-beneldopa is a mix of benserazide (dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor) and levodopa.
- Co-careldopa is a mixture of carbidopa (dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor) and levodopa.
Transfer from one dopa-decarboxylase inhibitor + levodopa combination to another should ideally be done after the previous preparation has been stopped at least 12 hours beforehand.(10)