Act as if it doesn’t bother you
As we all know if we show weakness the bully has won and will continue to repeat his/her behaviour. However hard it may be, work on the following:
Act as if you are not phased by their presence
- Offer them a coffee as soon as they appear.
- Ask to call them back when they call and say you are dealing with a patient to give yourself a bit of space.
Act as if you were expecting the bullying conversation
- Ask them if they are into chat about targets.
- Ask them what they would like to chat about
Act as if you are grateful for their contact
- Thank them for the visit, phone call, advice, or guidance.