MARCH saw the introduction of the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) revalidation for pharmacy professionals. Going forward all pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in Great Britain will have to demonstrate that they are regularly reflecting on their learning and practice, keeping their knowledge up to date and that they have the right attitudes and behaviours to provide safe and effective care to people using their services.
Revalidation will bring a change in the way pharmacy professionals’ complete continued professional development (CPD). They will now have to submit records at the time of renewing their registration. As well as the requirement to complete four CPD entries there is also the introduction of a peer discussion and a reflective account.
For each of these records, pharmacy professionals will have to evidence how the learning/activity undertaken has benefitted those who use their services.
To support members understand revalidation and the changes this will bring, Numark has produced a variety of materials including:
- A timeline of key events
- Information online detailing the process, the requirements, and top tips
- Key actions for members to take to prepare for revalidation
We will also be scoping out how we can support members with the peer discussion element required next year.
In terms of next steps we are encouraging our members to begin taking the following actions:
- Visit the Numark website this provides further details on revalidation including top tips, FAQs and key actions to take
- Print off any previous CPD entries you wish to keep: uptodate.org.ukwill become read-only on 1 April 2018. It will then be taken offline on 1 June 2018 and all content will be deleted. If you want to keep any previous CPD entries you will need to print them by 1 June 2018
- Look out for your new log in details via email and post: GPhC will contact everyone by email and by post during April 2018 to give you the information you’ll need to do register on the new portal.
- Start recording your entries: You will now need to submit your revalidation records at the time of renewing your registration. You should continue to carry out as much CPD as you feel necessary for your practice. You can then select four entries to submit. Visit our online training platform on the Numark website for ideas and storing your CPD entries.
By Laura Reed – Head of Professional Development.