This is a simple 3 Step technique I learned from Owen at his “Story Mastery” seminar and have used regularly with patients and at speaking events. It allows you to help shift negative thinking or any potential objections your audience may have.
- Step 1 – Bring up your audience’s potential negative thinking.
- Step 2 – Use the word BUT
- Step 3 – Inoculate against the negative thoughts by sharing a positive and powerful assumption.
Using the example of someone who is thinking of signing up to the Pharmacy Stop Smoking Service.
- Step 1 – “I know visiting the pharmacy every week for 12 weeks to see the pharmacist can seem like a bit of a pain when you are so busy”.
- Step 2 – BUT
- Step 3 – “By coming into see me weekly you will get the support you need to quit to become a non smoker and it will help you see the progress you are making”.