Flip your Focus
You get what you focus on, so flip your focus from what you DON’T HAVE to what you DO HAVE. Ask yourself the following questions at least once a month to remind yourself what you DO have.
- What do I value about myself?
- What are my greatest qualities?
- What are my proudest achievements?
As well as the above, flip your focus from what you DON’T WANT to what you DO WANT. Imagine a situation where you want to be more confident but have a fear that is holding you back. eg You want to speak to your boss with confidence in asking for more staff to benefit the department and patients. You may have a fear he/she will turn you down or laugh at you or think it is a ridiculous request. Rather than focus on the fear (what you DON’T WANT) focus on an imaginary future movie in your mind where you have all the confidence you need (what you DO WANT) and imagine you are sitting in the front row of a cinema watching yourself on screen:
- What are you seeing? (Your body posture, your body language)
- What are you hearing? (Your language, the voice tone, the pace of dialogue)
- What are you feeling? (What sensations do you feel watching this strong, confident character in this movie ie You)
Spending 10 minutes “watching’ this movie and repeating it every day for at least 3 days will make it so much easier for you to get into character and perform for real when you need to.