NLP modelling is a technique used to help an individual become more successful in any area they choose. I spent a month a few years ago on a modelling project to enhance my confidence in public speaking. Here is a summary of the key steps involved.
- Choose the ability (A) you want to develop. Eg confidence speaking to patients, confidence to deal with people or situations you find challenging, confidence to go for a new position.
- Decide what are the specifics of your chosen “A”. Eg What skills do you want? What mindset do you want?
- Find a “model”. Think of someone you know or you believe has the “A” that you want to develop.
- What do they say? How do they say it?
- What do they do physically?
- What do they wear?
- STRATEGY – At this point you can either imagine the answers to the rest of the questions or contact your “model” and ask to interview them. To get the best out of this technique I would recommend meeting up with your “model” and share what you are trying to achieve and why.
- When you are “A” what’s important to you?
- How do go about being “A”?
- What’s the first thing you do? (Externally)
- What’s the first thing you do? (Internally)
- EMOTIONS & BELIEFS
- What feelings must be present when you are “A”?
- What do you believe about yourself?
- What is it you get from these beliefs?
I would urge anyone who wants to develop their ability to be more confident at something to think of someone that you believe has what you want to develop and take them for a coffee and ask the above questions and write everything down. The next stage is to practise you’re “A” as if you were your model. The more you practise or imagine practising the easier it will be to become confident in the area you desire.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read Five Ways to be more Confident.
The next and final article of 2018 is Five Ways to Develop your Emotional Intelligence and will be with you by the end of December, but in the meantime, if anyone wants to find out more about anything in this article or has any comments please get in touch via the details below.
“Emotional Development is Quality Improvement (QI) of the Mind.”