Ask any ophthalmologist what common household item is most dangerous to children’s eyes and I am willing to bet that they say liquid gel detergent capsules.
They are the perfect thing to cause massive damage. Firstly, they look very appealing to a child. They are brightly coloured and a bit like something that might be good to eat. If bitten into, the contents come out under pressure, so the eye has no time to protect itself from the contents. The contents themselves are a highly concentrated alkali which will burn and dissolve the thin layers of the eyeball. While the industry has made some moves to warn people to keep these away from children, such messages can be interpreted as a standard bit of advice, which does no justice to the fact that these capsules are far more dangerous than the standard bottles or boxes of detergents. So when a child has had a mishap with another item, I like to warn parents about other things that they may not have thought about.