Contributions are unlimited really, but in my view, the essentials are:
- Smoking cessation – VBA as a minimum to intensive behavioural support and treatment.
- Screening for COPD, lung cancer, tobacco dependence, second-hand smoke exposure – repeat cough mixture purchases, routine CO readings, lung age (using e.g. a COPD6 device).
- Involved in campaigns like Stoptober, world COPD day, lung cancer awareness month, would love to see a ‘SABA guardian’ awareness day/week/month for over-reliance of SABA in asthma.
- Flu & Pneumococcal vaccination.
- Signposting to services eg. national helplines smokefree, AsthmaUK, BLF.
- Inhaler technique coaching repeated on follow up consultations.
- Targeted MURs, NMS to routinely answer questions patients may have around their medicines. Addressing possible adherence issues.
- Linked to quality payments – safety concerns around identifying patients with asthma who are getting SABA with no ICS, patients without a PAAP and no spacer.