For existing respiratory patients, remember SIMPLE when conducting MURs (including post-discharge/domiciliary), CMS and use elements of the framework to support NMS.
- Smoking = encourage patients to stop smoking, offering very brief advice and referring to stop smoking services.
- Inhaler technique = ask your patients to demonstrate how they use their inhalers at every opportunity. Optimise their technique. Make sure you are competent in using the inhalers too!
- Monitor = monitor control, adherence to medicines, the use of rescue courses of antibiotics and corticosteroids, adverse side-effects. Monitor for signs of respiratory red flags, for example, lung cancer and TB.
- Pharmacotherapy = optimise as per prescription, confirm with national and local guidelines and discuss with your patient
- Lifestyle = encourage exercise, pulmonary rehabilitation, vaccinations, weight loss/gain.
- Education = provide information on their illness, complete or encourage patient to obtain a personalised management plan and refer to patient support groups, such as Asthma UK, BLF and Breathe Easy.